What is the permanent cure for seborrhoeic dermatitis?

Dear Doctor i ahve been diagnosed by my family Dr as having seborrhoeic dermatitis and had prescribed me to use Elocon skin cream for the rash near my nose, eye brows and back for a period of 7 days to be applied twice, after using the cream it all vanished but after 6 days after i stopped applying the cream, the rashes again have come, is there a permanent cure for it, as i have heard that using cortisterodical creams causes health problems in future, what should i do
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. Seborrheic dermatitis is a type of eczema that occurs in people with seborrhoea( oily skin). Fungal etiology is also implicated for same. Personally I prefer prescribing steroid antifungal combination cream like mometasone in combination with terbinafine. If the lesions are mild we may prescribe, hydrocortisone or fluticasone or desonide cream alone or with an antifungal cream. If lesions are recurrent or persistent, tacrolimus can be added instead of steroid cream. Sometimes oral antifungal like terbinafine is prescribed for a week or two for better control. Steroid if used properly wont have any side effects. So initially I would suggest that you apply mometasone terbinafine combination cream. Once good response is achieved, start tapering it ie use it alternate days then once in a week. If at all steroid need to be continued for long, you may use a milder steroid like hydrocortisone over face. Also in case, if you have a scaly scalp, use a ketoconazole based shampoo every alternate days for better control. Hope this helped. Take care
Follow-up: What is the permanent cure for seborrhoeic dermatitis? 51 minutes later
Dear Doctor, Can u specify any particular brand of cream (i.e for mometasone terbifanine) that i can purchase from the chemist in mumbai also how many times in a day do i have to apply the cream for, also can i use this cream on my back. Kindly also specify a brand for the hydrocortisone cream. Doctor also isnt there a permanent cure for this dermatitis. Also Dr on one of the earlier post Dr XXXXXXX Batra has suggested that oral intake of oral itraconazole under dermatologist supervison offers a cure for sebhoreaic dermatistis
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. These are few antifungal steroid combinations easily available and can be used in seborrheic dermatitis Mometasone terbinafine- momoz T, terbinator M If not available, you may buy mometasone(momate/momoz/ topcort/ elocon) cream and terbinafine(tebif/ tyza/ terbinator/zimig/ tebina/terbest) cream separately mix in equal quantities and apply. Please do not use it beyond a week or two over face without doctor's prescription. It can be applied over back too. Hydrocortisone- efficort/ eldercoid etc. Seborrheic dermatitis may recur. So once remission is achieved, disease can be kept under check by using a mild steroid intermittently. Sometimes once the disease is under remission, it doesnt recur at all. Itraconazole can be used to control SD not controlled with topical medicines or extensive SD. Personally I prefer terbinafine as its more cost effective. Right now use steroid cream for few days to see if your lesions clear off. If they persist or recur, you may take a course of oral terbinafine 250 mg daily under doctor's supervision. Hope this answered your query. Take care
Follow-up: What is the permanent cure for seborrhoeic dermatitis? 1 hour later
Dear Dr, I have purchased the momate and Zimig cream as suggested by you as the other Momoz T & Terbinator M cream were not available, how many days and how many times do i use the cream for my face and back and when do i next follow up with you. Which medicated soap should i use as Sastid is presently not available?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologise for the delayed response. Mix momate and zimig in equal quantities and apply twice daily. The lesions over face would probably subside in five to seven days. Once the lesions subside do not stop the creams abruptly. Apply it alternate days then twice in a week and then once in a week and then may stop. Lesions over back will require time may be a week or two. You may use seborbar instead of sastid. however I do not advise using these soaps over face. You may use it for your back and other body areas. You may activate this link again for follow up after 15 days. Regards