What is the permanent cure for frequent bowel movement apart from taking imodium?

I have had a change in my bowel habits,I had a colonoscopy last year and they didn't find anything but my symptoms have gotten worse.I get these sudden urges to have bowel movements several times before noon each morning and sometimes I make it to the restroom and sometimes I do not its is very embarrassing do you have any suggestions as to what maybe causing thisI seem to be living on Imodium XXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Irritable bowel disease. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms. From the information you have provided, the suspicion of irritable bowel syndrome is high on my list. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disorder that affects your large intestine (colon). It commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating gas, diarrhea and constipation. Despite these uncomfortable signs and symptoms, IBS doesn't cause permanent damage to your colon. Most people with IBS find that symptoms improve as they learn to control their condition. Only a small number of people with irritable bowel syndrome have disabling signs and symptoms. Learning as much as you can on this condition is one of the best things to do. Also., try to identify how symptoms vary depending on the various food types that you eat. Trying to control these symptoms with lifestyle modification like controlling diet intake types, increasing fiber intake, reducing high gas foods, etc and some medications to control symptoms is the best way to try and tackle this problem. I understand your concerns. I can only hope that by trying these measures you get some more relief to enable you lead a better life. Thanks for using our services and please feel free to request for more information and clarifications if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What is the permanent cure for frequent bowel movement apart from taking imodium? 1 hour later
What medications can you suggest for IBS its like I live on Imodium and Pepto Bismal is a there a prescription my Dr can Prescribe ? thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not really.. we prsecribe base on your symptoms Detailed Answer: The management of IBS is mostly symptomatic and life style modification depending on the predominant symptoms. If with imodium you still have to go to the bathroom that often, then the dosage should be increased to control your bowel frequency if you have not hit the maximum possible dosage yet. Otherwise, there is no routine or standard drug that I can be prescribing as of now. Hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD