What is the permanent cure for celiac disease?

General Surgeon
Thank you, doctor. My husband exhibits many signs of celiac disease, but after many doctors and current iron infusions, he still doesn't have relief. In fact, he seems to be getting weaker and more fatigued. I am looking for questions that he can ask his doctor in order to guide them toward celiac disease since his diet is mainly pasta, bread and cookies (against my will. He's Italian, fyi) Where can I find something that will help him at his next doctor's appt?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. His symptoms can indicate celiac disease indeed. For sure he needs to have it ruled out. To do that, tTGA antibodies should be checked. But there are also some more serious conditions which can cause such symptoms. At his age, colon cancer should be ruled out at first. All mentioned by you symptoms can be caused by this as well. Also stomach cancer needs to be ruled out. There is no specific questions he may ask his doctor. He may try to ask about tTGA test and mention that he is certain about celiac disease. I suggest your husband to have: - colonoscopy - gastroscopy - tTGA antibodies for celiac - gastroscopy with small bowel biopsy (this is a one way to diagnose celiac disease) Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.