What is the painful lump on my breast?

General Surgeon
Hi i am a 32 year old bangladeshi woman, who has large breasts but i have noticed on my right breast slightly above the nipple a very tender area and pains to touch. I have been to the doctors and she said it seems like a infection. It feels like a lump and hurts very much especially when i take my bra off. I am not losing appetite and i am very worried about this. Is this cancer? Pls help me!
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It's more likely to inflammatory cause Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Cancer causing lumps of the breast are usually not associated with pain and tenderness. So from this its unlikely to be cancer. If your present swelling and pain is of short duration it's likely to be breast abscess or Fibroadenosis. Exact diagnosis will depend on good clinical examination and can be confirmed by Ultrasound scan of the breast . There is no cause for being worried about cancer for two reasons 1. Cancer does not produce pain and tenderness 2. Breast cancer can occur at any age but typically occurs at 45 to 50 years of age. As you are 34 , it's still more less likely to be cancer. I would suggest you to get an Ultrasound scan done in consultation with your Physician. Also 5 day course of antibiotic and anti inflammatory especially if there is redness in overlying area of breast will be helpful. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: What is the painful lump on my breast? 6 hours later
Ok i have been given anti biotics aswel. Shall i take these and see first?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can start Antibioticcs as advised by dr Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Ms You can definitely try antibiotics. But if the abscess has already formed, then it will require Surgical drainage . It will require Clinico-Radiologicl assessment . Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon