Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the normal volume of prostate and is it related to cancer?

Hi could you please tell me what a normal volume of a prostate is my husbands is 59cc is this in the high risk range for cancer?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Guru 2 hours later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

The normal volume of a prostate is about 20 to 30 cc. However, it varies with age. People above 60 years, would have some enlargement. Moreover, there are conditions like Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) which need to be ruled out.

Regarding risk of cancer, we cannot predict the risk of cancer depending on the volume of prostate. In other words, cancer does not depend on the size of prostate. But we need to suspect prostate cancer if there is asymmetry in shape, presence of hard lump, loss of median sulcus, induration etc. There are some screening tests to detect the presence of prostate cancer like prostate specific antigen, digital rectal examination. However, these are not recommended for routine screening of asymptomatic general population.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.