What is the normal sugar level for 48 years old?

My sugar level is 8.2 at this moment in time. I am 48 years old a female. Is this high. Shoudl i have a diabetes test.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

You have not mentioned whether 8.2 is your fasting sugar levels or its your HBA1c value.

If your fasting blood sugar levels is 8.2mmol/L, than it is on the higher side. You should get postlunch sugar levels done. Based on both the values it can be decided whether it can be controlled by diet & exercise alone or there is need to start medicine.

If its your HbA1c level of 8.2 than it is higher side.By measuring the HbA1C it gives an idea how high your blood glucose has been on average over the last 8-12 weeks. A normal non-diabetic HbA1C is 3.5-5.5%. A value of 8.2 is on the higher side. Kindly get your postlunch sugar levels also , so as to decide further course of treatment.

I hope i have answered your query. In case you have any further query i will be happy to help you.