What is the normal resting heart rate for a normal individual?

Hello. I want to find out what a normal resting heart rate would be for someone my age and size. I am a 30year old male weighing at 230 lbs. I have lost 18 pounds recently and excerise everyday for 30 minutes. My heart rate when I get out of bed in the morning and in the late evening is around 55-60. Presently, after being awake for three hours and limited activity my resting heart rate is at 68. Is this considered normal? More specifically my morning/late evening heart rate?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Resting heart rate can be low in a athlete. A person who is athletic can have a lower heart rate than a person who is not.

A normal adult will have a heart rate between 60 to 100 beats per minute.
A athletic adult of your age can even have heart rate as low as 50 per minute.

Heart rate can be less when a person just gets out of bed than when he is more active as during the day time.

Hope i answered your question.

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and i can answer your queries online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics