What is the normal range for endometrial thickness?

Question
HI....WAS WONDERING WHAT THE NORMAL RANGES FOR ENDOMETRIAL THICKNESS IS.....I HAD AN TRANSABDOMINAL ULTRASOUND AND IT SHOWED MY LINING BEING 0.3, THEN I HAD AN TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND AND THE LINING WAS 0.7....WHY COULD THERE BE SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE...ANXIOUSLY AWAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU...THANKS SO MUCH
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 minutes later

Menstrual cycle has three phases based on the hormonal profile.The first phase with both the hormones at low levels, second phase dominated by estrogen and the third by Progesterone.

Depending on the hormone levels the growth of the endometrium occurs.In the first phase (menstrual phase) the thickness is 1-4mm (first 5 days of the cycle)
second phase(proliferative phase) - 4 -14mm (next 10 days of the cycle)
Third phase (secretary phase) 14 -26mm (last 14 days of the cycle).There can be wide variation in the thickness depending on many factors like age, parity,medications etc.

The best way to ascertain the thickness of the endometrium is by Transvaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) as the view here shows a transverse cut of the uterine wall.Hence the reading provided by the TVS is considered reliable.The abdominal USG can show wrong readings.

Hope I answered your query.Please do ask if any doubts.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What is the normal range for endometrial thickness? 2 hours later
HELLO DOCTOR,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER BUT I AM A 57 YEAR OLD FEMALE WHO IS PRE OR POST MENOPAUSAL....HAVEN'T HAD A "REAL" PERIOD IN ABOUT A YEAR OR SO BUT HAVE BEEN HAVING SOME BROWN DISCHARGE OCCASIONALLY....SINCE MY 20'S ALL OF MY PAP SMEARS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN NORMAL.....WASN'T TO CONCERNED ABOUT THE BROWN DISCHARGE, ASSUMED IT WAS A TRANSITION INTO MENOPAUSE UNTIL I MENTIONED IT TO MY DOCTOR...SHE SUGGESTED I SEE A GYNE AND I DID....SHE SENT ME FOR FOR A TRANSVAGINAL BUT THE TECH GAVE ME A TRANSABDOMINAL INSTEAD BECAUSE SHE SAID IF SHE CAN SEE MY ORGANS WELL ENOUGH THERE WAS NO NEED FOR A TRANSVAGINAL....GYNE SENT ME BACK AND GOT A TRANSABDOMINAL AS WELL AS A TRANSVAGINAL AND MY LINING MEASURED 0.7....MY GYNE DID AN ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY, CURRENTLY WAITING FOR THE RESULTS.....NOTHING ELSE MAJOR WAS STATED IN THE REPORT EXCEPT A POSSIBLE FIBROID.....I AM VERY, VERY CONCERNED THAT THIS COULD BE CANCER...WONDERING WHAT YOUR OPINION IS ON THE MATTER....SINCE I DO NOT MENSTRUATE, WAS WONDERING WHY SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN THE LINING THICKNESS FROM EACH TEST....ANXIOUSLY AWAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Endometrial thickness in post menopausal state is similar to that seen in menstrual phase (1-4mm) in normally mensurating women.It could be even slightly thicker in post menopausal women due to some amount of estrogen synthesized by adrenal glands normally..

Transvaginal scan is the best modality to know the exact thickness of the endometrial lining.0.7 cm is the exact reading to be considered and is near normal for women of your age.Abdominal scan does not give a better picture of the endometrium ,the reading obtained from the abdominal scan could be wrong (technical error) and hence unreliable.

Need not worry, the endometrial biopsy you got done is a gold standard diagnostic test.Its results are very reliable and can determine cancer even in its earliest stages. Do wait for the report and get back to me once you have it. We shall discuss on the same.

Wish you good health.