What is the normal level of alkaline phosphate?

Question
Is an alkaline phosphotase level high when it is 134?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Alkaline phosphate is a liver enzyme whose normal range is 50-120.
Your values are borderline high. Alk.phosphase can be high due to many causes most remarkable are the obstructive conditions of the hepatobiliary system. But it can be high in acute damage to hepatic cells or damage to endothelium.
Please get full liver function test and ultrasound of the abdomen and then get a physical examination by a physician.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: What is the normal level of alkaline phosphate? 49 minutes later
I had a full blood work-up. :
glucose 96
urea nitrogen 10
creatinine - serum 0.9
sodium 142.0
potassium 4.0
chloride 105
carbon dioxide 29.5
anion gap 11.5
calcium 9.8
total protein 7.6
albumin 4.6
bilirubin, total 0.90
alkaline phosphotase 134
AST (SGOT) 30
ALT (SGPT) 29
globlulin 3.0
A/G ratio 1.53
GFR (IDMS) 65
GFRa (IDMS) 79
Cholesterol 211
triglyceride 102
HDL - cholesterol 58
DLDL - cholesterol 128
CHOL/HDLC 3.7
Non HDL cholesterol 153.20
I do not have health insurance and do not make much money. I had to have this blood work and see my doctor to get a refill on the high blood pressure medication. Do not have money for an ultra -sound and more tests. My doctor did not know what my borderline-high alkaline phosphotase reading meant. I told her that I would google it to gain information. I also wanted to state that I don't drink alcohol and never have and I don't smoke. Is the blood work-up that I e-mailed to you the same as a liver function test?
I haven't received a reply about the blood work-up information that I sent 19 hours ago
Thank you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 31 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back,
Yes, these reports have the content of liver function.
That much älk. Phosphatase elevation is not significant and may be just an upward fluctuation. You should repeat the liver function test after one month to follow.
Your cholesterol level is also high, you should do regular exercises and reduce fat intake in the diet.
I hope that advise would be helpful.

Follow-up: What is the normal level of alkaline phosphate? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Choudhary,
Thank you for your response. I have already started eliminating plant-based saturated fats like coconut and palm oil, and am also eliminating most other oils - mostly only using nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados for fat ( and those as condiments, not meals.) Yes, I want my cholesterol to be 150 or below. Thank you again and have a great week. Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome Back!
May you achieve your health targets and stay healthy at body and soul.
Ram