What is the normal height and weight for a 15 months old?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My baby is 15 months old. She is 80 cms of height and 14.9 kg. Is this a matter of concern? Do we need to do something on this?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
I understand your concern as a vigilant parent. For a 15 month old her height is appropriate but her weight is slightly more than the average . A normal 15 month old usually would weigh somewhere between 9-13 kgs. However weight does vary a lot in children and to consider it abnormal one has to evaluate many other factors like ,
Birth weight, familial constitution( parents built ) , diet ( breastfed or formulafed), activity and milestones ( walking , talking etc.).
I would appreciate if you provide me the above details so that I can help you in the best possible way.
Please do not worry as many overweight infants do lose their weight and fat when they become more mobile toddlers .
Awaiting your response,
Follow-up: What is the normal height and weight for a 15 months old? 5 hours later
At the outset, let me thank you for such a caring and informative reply. Her birth weight was 3.2 KGS. Her activities are normal as she is recently learning to stand without support and walk. Apart from that we have not noticed any abnormal behavior or anomalies as parents. However,since we are not a pediatric expert , we thought of having it verified since obesity in children is pretty common these days. Please let us know whether it would be appropriate to have her examined by you. We would be glad to bring her to your chamber.
Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry.
Yes your child is slight overweight for her birth weight baby but as of now she doesn't need any further management .
Most of the times such children lose weight once they are walking and running toddlers. I would recommend you get her assessed during her next routine vaccination visit by her pediatrician usually due between 15-18 months . ( as I am a practicing pediatrician in Mumbai ). I assume she is on breast feeds as well as solids. If she is on formula it would be better to shift to skimmed cows milk for decreasing her fat intake .Do make sure she has limited intake of juices, sugary or oily foodstuffs. Otherwise no other restrictions are necessary . Include plenty of water and vegetables in her diet and make sure she sleeps well at least 10-12 hours in a day or more.
If the weight hampers her activities even after the age of two years then a formal assessment by a endocrinologist might be advisable.
As of now she seems absolutely normal just a bit overweight for her age.
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing your family good health.