What is the normal heart rate in an individual?

Geriatrics Specialist
I am a 30 year old female. My resting heart rate seems to average between 80 and 105 beats per minute. Periodically I experience, what I would describe as panic attacks. When this happens it can go as high as 120 beats per minute. I never have dizziness or fainting spells. My husband is deployed in the middle east, though I don't feel like I have any great anxiety over that (unless it is sub-consious). I am not real active physically (don't exercise much). Is this a XXXXXXX or severely abnormal heart rate. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 55 minutes later
Hi there,

The normal heart rate varies from 70 to 100 in an normal individual, even it raises in some persons based on their body weight and obesity, heart rate more than 100 is tachycardia, and that to normal if it comes on occasions like anxiety,jogging,etc.

Doing an ECG and ECHO will rule out any cardiac abnormalities, mostly associated with chest pain and dyspnoea.

Panic attack, requires only behavioral therapy.

Behavioral therapy can help you learn through your own experience that panic symptoms are not XXXXXXX The sessions starts with gradual re-creating of the symptoms of a panic attack in a safe, supportive setting.

Successful treatment can also help you overcome fears of situations that you've been avoiding because of panic attacks.

Visit a nearby psycotherapist and consult about behavioral therapy.

Let me know if you have any questions.
thank you.