What is the normal blood sugar level for 70 years old?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2012
Aug 2012

Diabetologist
Question
Please let me know the normal blood sugar level for 70 yrs old lady
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 42 minutes later

For a person, male or female, of 70 years and with already diagnosed type 2 diabetes the acceptable levels of sugar are:
Fasting: 80 to 130 mg/dl
Post meal: upto 200 mg/dl
HbA1c (about three months' average of sugars): upto 7.5 to 7.9%

We target higher ranges so that this age people do not suffer from life threatening hypoglycemia. The hypoglycemia can go unrecognised at this age because of many physical reasons and hence these kinds of higher ranges have been set up from the recognized diabetes associations, including that of India.

But if you are never diagnosed to have diabetes and want to know beyond what level you would be labelled as having diabetes then the readings are:
Fasting sugar: more than 126 mg/dl
Post meal sugar: more than 200 mg/dl
HbA1c: more than 6.4%

I hope you got your answer. Please get back to me for any further query. Take care.