Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the normal age for primary teeth eruption?

My daughter is 14 months old. still she havn't got any teeth. She is pretty normal and she eats pretty much everything we eat but still she didnt get ant teeth, when she is expected to get her teeth? is there any checkup we need to do for this?

Please help us.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing your query.

Eruption of primary teeth or milk teeth usually starts at the age of 6 months in children but this eruption time may vary from individual to individual.

Under normal health conditions, we can expect the eruption time right from 6 months to 33 months.

As you have mentioned your daughter is 14 months of age and physically fit, I think you can wait for few more months to get the signs for eruption.

But though to add up to your knowledge I would write few conditions where we can see delayed eruption of primary teeth in children so please evaluate the following in your daughter ;
. Preterm birth or low birth weight,
. Vitamin D resistant rickets
.under nutrition or malnutrition, check for your baby s daily nutrition.
. Hypothyroidism or hypopituitarism that is low levels T3 T4 hormones and elevated levels of TSH hormones so please get the blood examination done for these hormones.
. Physical obstruction may also lead to delayed eruption such as odontogenic tumors and cysts, eruption sequestrum , ectopic eruption.
. Radiation damage is one the important reasons, that is radiation exposure of mother during pregnancy.
. Sclerostenosis.
.genetic predisposition may also lead delayed eruption.

So XXXXXXX I would suggest you to get 1. An OPG radiograph done for your daughter which will show radiologically visible obstructions if any.
2. Get the thyroid profile done along with regular complete blood check up.
This examination will help us in diagnosis and deciding the treatment plan.
I hope this information helps you,

I am waiting to listen from you.

Take care,

Dr.Farah Hussain.