What is the method to terminate early pregnancy?

Question
hi i am 31 years old .my periods are due by 15 days.i am pregnent.i want to remove this pregnency.plz help me.my weight is 56 kg ani it is my first pregnency.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later

methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective if pregnancy is less than seven weeks. Get an ultrasound done to confirm the period of gestation. If it is less than 7 weeks ( looks like 6 weeks in your case) then MTP by medical methods can be done.

For this purpose, you need to get an examination done and the drugs prescribed from your gynecologist. You will be asked to come to the clinic and then oral mifiprestone tablet will be given to you. If your blood group is Rhesus-negative you will have an Anti-D injection.

Then you will be asked to come back from home after 6 hours or 2 days later. At this visit, misoprostol tablets are placed in the vagina. The misoprostol tablets will cause you to have cramps and bleed heavily. This usually starts about 2 hours after using the misoprostol and the process of abortion is completed within 4 or 5 hours after taking the misoprostol.

After abortion, you will have to take a repeat ultrasound to check the status of pregnancy. If there are any retained products of conception then you may need a D+C (dilatation and curettage).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What is the method to terminate early pregnancy? 3 hours later
i know about MTP but in UK no pharmacy give this tablet.i worried from where i get this tablet.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Mifiprestone and mesoprostol are not without side effects and they are always available by prescription.

You have to consult a gynecologist to get them prescribed.

Mifiprestone is teratogenic and if the pregnancy continues because of failed abortion it may cause serious birth defects. Hence it has to be taken under medical sueprvision and in case of failed medical abortion, an urgent D&C is mandatory.