What is the meaning of zero sperm, normal FSH levels and positive fructose in a semen analysis test?

Infertility Specialist
Question
My husband has had three seperate semen analysis done. All the semen analysis results show zero sperm, normal fsh levels, and positive fructose. What is the most likely meaning of this, i.e., does he probably not produce sperm OR is there another possibilty
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 14 minutes later

There are 2 possible reasons:
Reason 1: Production of sperms occurs in testis which may be occuring but there could be obstruction in the pipes (spermatic cord or some other location) that bring sperms out.
Reason 2: Production may not be occurring normally in testis and hence no sperms.

How to diagnose it:

1) Do following Blood tests for your husband: FSH ( Follicle stimulating hormone),LH (leutinizing hormone ) , Serum Testesterone, TSH ( Thyroid stimulating hormone )
If production of sperms is problem these values will not be normal. Check the reference value in report

2) If above values are normal, then there could be obstruction in the pipes. So get a test called TESA (testicular sperm aspiration). This is done by andrologists. They put a needle in testes and take out sperms to see if production is occurring in testes or not.

Please accept my answer if no further queries

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What is the meaning of zero sperm, normal FSH levels and positive fructose in a semen analysis test? 1 hour later
I wanted to know if the positive fructose and normal fsh levels were indicative of pre or post testicular azoospermia?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 55 minutes later
Both the reports are indicative of post testicular obstruction.
Please get the testicular sperm aspiration test (TESA) done to confirm the diagnosis. If you get sperms in the TESA sample, you can conceive by in-vitro fertilization (IVF) /Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) using your husband's sperms.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.