What is the meaning of high eosinophil levels?

May 2013
What could an eosinophil reading of 7.6 (high)on a blood test mean?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Eosinophils are the cells produced in bone marrow and found in blood stream and gut lining.

They help in fighting against infections and parasitic infestations.

The normal eosinophil count should be not higher than 350 eosinophils per microliter of whole blood. If it more than 400 per microliter it is called as eosinophilia, means presence of abnormal high amounts of eosinophils in blood and body tissues.

So, 7.6 means presence of 760 eosinophils per microliter also comes under eosinophilia.

It is seen in conditions like Asthma, hay fever, lung diseases like Loeffler's syndrome, vasculitis as in Churg-Strauss syndrome, tumors like lymphoma, cirrhosis of the liver, in antibody deficiency cases, due to intake of penicillins, sulfa drugs, tetracyclines, NSAIDS, anti seizure drugs, in some skin disorders etc.

If cause is not known it is called as hypereosinophilic syndrome.

The symptoms depend on cause like wheezing and breathlessness in asthma, abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever, rashes etc in parasitic infestation.

To treat eosinophilia, the cause should be treated, mainly steroids are given.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with my answer, please do not forget to accept it.