What is the meaning of distal dilation and peritoneal spilage of the fallopian tube?

my daughter had an hsg test today, please explain to me what this means. todays study showed visualiztion of the proximal two thirds of the left fulopian tube with no evidnce of any dilatation distally. there is some distal dilatation of visuualized right fulopian tube, and there is however free peritoneal spillage early on. impression rightsided tubal patency.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

HSG- Hysterosalpigography- It is a special kind of X-ray which involves placing an iodine-based XXXXXXX through the cervix of the uterus and taking x-rays to help evaluate the shape of the uterus and whether or not the fallopian tubes are open or blocked.

In the results, proximal 2/3rd of left tube is visible. Non spillage of XXXXXXX means the tube is not patent.

Right tube and uterine shape are normal.

This means that she has one sided tubal blockage but her chances of getting pregnant are still there as one of her tubes is patent with normal shape.

A blockage prevents an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also prevents sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining (fertilizing) an egg.

But one sided tubal patency is enough to cause fertilisation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What is the meaning of distal dilation and peritoneal spilage of the fallopian tube? 1 hour later
Thank you, your answer is helpful however just to clarify the report sounds as if her right tube is good (normal) and she can proceed to try to concieve without fear of a blockage?

The left tube was removed in 2006 from an ectopic rupture.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Since her left tube has been removed there was no spillage on that side on HSG.

She can very well proceed and try to conceive without any fears.

Hope my answer is helpful.