What is the long term solution to treat acute acne?

I am a 28 year old male who's getting a lot of pimples on my right cheek. The acne comes about every month and spreads across face before subsiding. I am using Benzac regularly and Doxywell when acute acne. What is the long term solution? I drink plenty of water, avoid oily foods to a large extent, and clean & moisturize face regularly.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thank for the query and photograph. I can see these are few cystic lesions on your face. The best treatment would be retinoids in the form of capsule isotretinoin. However as it is a prescription drug, you must meet a dermatologist and get It prescribed. This capsule will give you a long term benefit. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow-up: What is the long term solution to treat acute acne? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor but i have used the said medicine -- Tretin -- on prescription of a dermatologist and had side-effects of severe hair loss and mood swings. Is there any other alternate medication or treatment you can suggest?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi You can try tablet azithromycin 500 mg once daily for a week followed by a gap of three weeks and again a course of a week. Hope this helps you. Thank you