What is the itching on the skin?

Jan 2014

My mom is suffering from this problem since last few months. She feels itching on her skin especially legs and hands.. When she scratches the affected area a spot starts appearing in that area which never vanishes. Can you please suggest some medicine or other cure for this problem. Thank you XXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Judging from the fact that they appear on both legs and hands, it suggests me an endogenous eczematous condition. I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --How do the spots look exactly? Size? Reddish or bluish or purplish in colour? Do they appear in crops or do they appear one at a time? --Can you please upload a clear picture of the lesions/spots in order to be able to help you better?. regards
Follow-up: What is the itching on the skin? 3 hours later
Hi Doctor, Please see the attached pictures of the affected area. This is spreading all over the body now and she has stopped taking medicines as well. Is this due to rising level of cholestrol? Or something else as well. Because she have dots on the eyes as well. I have attached a pic here. Please prescribe. Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lichenoid dermatitis, Xanthelasma Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the pictures. I would keep a possibility of 'Lichenoid dermatitis' which is causing her to itch The lesions on her upper eyelids are due to lipid accumulation at that site, Xanthelasma. For lichenoid dermatitis i usually advice my patients to you use a potent steroid cream e.g betamethasone valerate (betnovate) cream, mix it with an equal amount of moisturizer and apply it twice daily over that rashes for 2-4 weeks An OTC antihistamine like cetrizine Or loratadine 10mg can be taken one or twice daily for symptomatic relief from itching. Treatment options for Xanthelasma, which is a localised lipid accumulation, is with either CO2 Laser vaporisation OR by TCA application by your treating dermatologist. I would advice that you also get a lab test for lipid profile done for her because Xanthelasma could be one of the signs of raised blood lipids. take care regards