What is the irregular heart beat not detected on monitor?

MY BP is somewhat high upon checking with a Walgreens monitor each morning & evening for the past several days. I have been getting message "detected irregular heartbeat" each time. My energy level is lower than usual and have been treated for dizziness/tremors, to no avail, for over a year. Had heart attack in 2007 & CABG (4 bypasses) prostate cancer in 2008 & removal. Taking depression med for past 2 yrs but this irregular HB does NOT seem to be detected in my doctor's visits. Any thoughts as to my concerns? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: a holter monitor would identify any abnormal rate Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic In persons with irregular or abnormal heart beats, if the abnormal rhythm is not present at the time of assessment then it would not be picked up on examination by your doctor. You may want to consider a holter monitoring test . This is essentially a 24 hour ECG. It monitors the rhythm of the heart for a 24 hour period and would pick up any abnormality in the heart rate or rhythm that occurs during this time.This method would be far more effective and accurate compared to the monitor that has provided the message. Most persons with abnormality in the rate or rhythm experience some or all of the following symptoms : palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain, occasional intermittent dizziness, fainting. Irregular heart beat would normally have to be severe to cause weakness and it is not normally associated with tremors. Tremors can be related to side effects of medications, vitamin deficiency, alcohol use, hyperthyroidism, brain injury or trauma, stroke, neurological diseases such as MS, anxiety, liver or kidney disease.Some persons may have 'essential tremor' where there is no known cause. MOst of these may also cause dizziness and decreased energy as well. Assessment would require physical examination and blood tests (vitamin levels, thyroid function test). The treatment would depend on the cause. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions