What is the interpretation of my blood pressure?

Question
my blood pressure,138/98.what does it mean?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for submitting your query.

We cannot take just a single reading to diagnose hypertension (High Blood Pressure). After the age of 50 years, systolic blood pressure is more noteworthy which in your case is 138mm of Hg and it falls under Pre-hypertension.

I would suggest you to get yourself examined by a proficient cardiologist so that he/she can do a comprehensive physical evaluation. He/she will likely take two to three blood pressure readings each at two or more separate appointments before diagnosing you with high blood pressure because blood pressure normally varies throughout the day.

If you have any sort of high blood pressure, he/she may recommend routine tests, such as urinalysis, blood tests and an electrocardiogram (ECG) which measures your heart's electrical activity. Your doctor may also recommend additional tests, such as a Fasting Lipid profile, to look for more signs of any heart disease in view of the fact that you are already a known Diabetic.

In the meantime, bring in lifestyle adjustments to keep your blood pressure and blood sugars under control. Eat healthy balanced diet which should include plenty of fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Limit your daily salt intake to less than 2.4 grams/day. Exercise regularly 30 to 40 minutes in a day, 5 days a week which should include brisk walking. Avoid junk and high calorie foods and maintain a healthy weight. Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation which will reduce your blood pressure.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.