What is the impact of elevated APTT and PT results in pregnancy with history of 5 abortions?

Hi...My Wife is pregnant now . She already is having 5 Miised Abortions earlier. This time everything was fine but when aptt and PT was done it showed some an=bnormality . The figures came to 48.4 for APTT and 89 Secs for PT. Does this has any impact on pregnancy or how it can be controlled. Though all ultrasound and other reports are normal
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

The presence of elevated APTT AND PT indicates the presence of medical conditions that can predispose for recurrent abortions in the first and second trimesters.

If not done already, you might get some important tests done, that might be helpful to know the cause of recurrent abortions and also abnormal coagulation parameters include:
1. Functional assays for proteins C, S & AT-III
2. Serology tests to detect SLE - lupus anticoagulant and anticardiolipin antibodies
3. comprehensive antiphospholipid antibody panels
4. Testing for detection of genetically determined factors that may increase the risk of miscarriage like : - Factor V Leiden, Prothrombin gene mutation, Antithrombin III and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) are important.

In case all the tests have been already done, (as you have mentioned that everything else is normal) then any persistent tendency for increased blood clotting may be treated successfully with aspirin and heparin anticoagulant injections.

You might consult your gynecologist for the above tests and further management of the condition.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.