What is the immediate relief for uneasiness in breathing?

General Surgeon
hi... my son is 2 and half years he is having severe congestion and teh mucus is not coming out .. i have given hime eucalytus oil steam... but still...he finds uneasy to breath...let me know what can i give him for immediate relief...his mucus is yellowish in color.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal saline nebulization will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXX First and foremost I would like to reassure that upper respiratory tract infection is self limiting in children and is usually viral in origin and just require symptomatic treatment. If the child is breathing normally and respiratory rate is <40 per minute, no sound from chest, accepting feeds well, no high fever and sleeps well then there is no cause for concern. It's a simple preliminary assessment by parents. I would suggest you the following which will definitely be helpful in relieving the secretion and congestion 1. Mucolytic Expectorant Syrup: Syrup Expect PD 3 ml thrice a day. It will be beneficial in softening the secretion and also expectoration. 2. Normal Saline Nebulization : if you have Nebulizer at home , you can give normal saline nebulization using 2 ml of normal saline, given for 5 to 10 minute 3 to 4 times a day. 3. Decoction : to a cup of milk add + 10 Tulsi leaves + 1 spoon of turmeric + 2 gm of fresh ginger + 2 black pepper + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil. Feed the baby warm using watti and spoon. Give it 3 to 4 times a day. Antiseptic action of turmeric will be highly be beneficial. 4. Warm fluids : especially tomato/ chicken soup If the secretion are very thick N Acetyl Cysteine nebulization can also be used in consultation with your Physician. Rest lest be assured your child will get well soon. My time tested trade secret will definitely be useful. Do get back to me anytime, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon