What is the ideal weight gain during pregnancy?

Hi, I am 24 week pregnant now. My weight os 52kg and height is 5 feet 2 inches. So is this ideal weight? In the beginning i was 52 then i reduced weight to 4kg in first 3 trimsters. Now i gained weight again and its 52kg. Please let me know how my weight should increase till 9th month so that baby will be healthy.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 29 hours later
Brief Answer: should be a total of 11 - 12 kg in whole pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query. I think you may have lost weight due to vomiting etc. The weight gain should be 1 kg in first trimester and 5 kg each in second and third trimester (0.4 kg/week). Fetal weight gain may be different from your net weight gain. Mostly fetal weight gain would be more than you are thinking. Approximate fetal weight can be known by doing an ultrasound. I would say that you should gain between 6 - 7 or even more during third trimester. For this you will need to eat high calorie foods. High calorie foods include milk products like butter, ghee, cheese, sweets, pinni, etc. These need to be added to the usual diet that you are taking. You need to eat for two people. Take 3 - 4 regular meals and 4 snacks in a day. High calorie food should be added to this diet. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee