What is the home remedy for hair fall problem post pregnancy?

I am facing the problem of severe hair fall post pregnancy. Can you please suggest some remedy for it, a good shampoo or some home remedies that will work for me. I do have a lot of dandruff.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Telogen effluvium Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. Hair fall after pregnancy and delivery is called as post partum telogen effluvium. Hair growth follows a cycle. 90% of our hairs, at a given point in time will be in growing phase and 10% of our hairs will be in the falling phase, which is around 50-100 hairs per day. During pregnancy, under the influence of the hormones estrogen and progesterone, the hair grows well and the hair cycle is arrested in the growing phase ie, the hairs which were supposed to fall normally go into a resting phase. Once you deliver, the hair cycle is restored back and you notice a temporary increase in the hair fall as the resting hairs start shedding. This happens 3-6 months after delivery and lasts for 2-3 months. You could tackle this by taking supplements containing biotin, cysteine and methionine. You could take for 2-3 months once a day after meals either morning or afternoon. You could take this along with the calcium supplements which you are taking currently. It will not affect your breast feeding. As far as shampoo is concerned, you could use any mild shampoo available in the market. Use it twice or thrice a week. For home remedies, you could apply warm coconut oil with hibiscus leaves. Do not massage. It is supposed to stimulate hair growth. Do this before shampooing. Do not leave the oil overnight as it will worsen your dandruff. Also , if you had any anemia or thyroid issues during pregnancy, you need to address that too. That could worsen the existing hair fall. Hope these remedies help you. If you have any more queries, I will be glad to help. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko