What is the further treatment for irritable bowel syndrome after taking bentyl for stomach cramps?

Hello Dr. Narasi - I have been having some stomach cramps since last Sunday evening. They seem to come and go. I feel like I have indigestion as well. I was very uncomfortable on Monday, but the pain went away Tue/Wed, but returned on Thursday. I went to the doctor and he gave me Bentyl. He just did a physical examination of my abdomen and took a urine sample, he said everything seemed fine. I felt fine yesterday, but last night after eating a large meal, I had diarrhea. My stomach was rumbling and bloated. My stool has been foul smelling as well. I also felt like my food had not digested properly. I took a bentyl, but it didn't seem to help as much as it did on Thursday. This morning I woke up with some discomfort, but it wasn't too bad. I took a bentyl today as well. I have tested my stool five times with an EZ Detect for blood, but it has come back negative each time. My lower back has also bothered me off and on as well. I've had some discomfort on an off since 2010. My gastro doctor said I have IBS and to wait to get a colonoscopy until I was 40. My mother passed away from Colon Cancer at 66. Do you agree with the IBS? Also, after I eat I noticed I start to get a headache, the kind when you know your about to get a stomache.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concerns with XXXXXXX I read your medical data and understood your concerns. It is great that the urine test was fine and that EZ Detect test resulted negative. This means you should not be worry for any bleeding in your GI tract. Bentyl you are taking is a good medicine to ameliorate conditions of IBS and GI discomfort. However, the current symptoms of rumbling and bloating of your stomach and foul smell of your stool indicate for an acute infection of GI tract (acute gastroenteritis). Most probably due to a viral infection. So, everything you eat would cause maldigestion and foul smell of stool. I suggest to: - take tasectan, probiotic, and ors - drink plenty of water - avoid large meal, only light meals (Greek yogurt,banana,etc) Although you have a family history of colon cancer, it does not mean you will have it. You should do regular check ups as recommended by your doctor after the age of 40s. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! Dr.Klerida