What is the further treatment for dense inflammatory smear in Histopathology report?

Hi I have got Histopathology report for my wife. Remark is give as DENSE INFLAMMATORY SMEAR. Results are as follows. --------------------------------- Specimen : PAP'S SMEAR Squamous Cells: SUPERFICIAL CELLS ++ INTERMEDIATE CELLS ++ PARABASAL CELLS + Endocervical Cells: NIL Inflamatory Cells: ++++ tv/Candida: NIL Dysplastic Cells: NOT SEEN Malignant Cells: NOT SEEN --------------------------------------------- Age : 35, Height : 5ft 4 inch Weight : 60 kg. She is been called for clinical coorelation. Would be grateful if you let me know the next steps. Is it of great worry.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: follow up smear Detailed Answer: Hello The pap smear report says that she has an inflammatory reaction possibly due to infection . She needs a course of antibiotics and repeat the smear after 3 months . No there is no evidence of dysplasia or malignancy as yet . Having an infection is common in women sexually active . Sometimes infection may mask local causes like ulcers etc . So it's always advisable to repeat the smear after the infection is treated . See your doctor for the medications .