What is the flexibility of ribs in a toddler?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I would like to know how flexible are the ribs or a 3Year old child?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ribs of 3 year baby are very flexible. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. Ribs of 3 year baby are very flexible, they are in cartilaginous form and joints of rib like costosternal and manibriosternal are not fully developed. In case of blunt heavy trauma you may need to do MRI or HRCT to see details of injury and involvement of lung parenchyma. I will advise to consult to orthopaedic surgeon. You may consult physiotherapist for pain management. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. You may need to take rest for early healing. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to give rating at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care Regards Dr Vaibhav

Follow-up: What is the flexibility of ribs in a toddler? 8 minutes later
So what's the lease amount of forse that a 3 year old child take to cause the pancrese to rip 90%

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 hours later
Brief Answer: So exact minimum force required cant be commented Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. I understood your question, Injury to internal organs depends on pattern of trauma and not on force of trauma. Usually sharp or pointed object will require less force to injure pancreas, where as blunt trauma will require more force to cause organ injury. Shear trauma or oblique force will require less energy to damage internal organ. So exact minimum force required can not be commented. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care