What is the feeling of something stuck in my throat?

ENT Specialist
I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat under my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX near collar bone only when I swallow saliva, it dose not happen with food or drink at night when I sleep it seems to get better this has been going on for 2/3 weeks I have stated taking omerprazole for one week now and it hasn't helped. I am also constantly clearing my throat coughing up white or brown flem. Sometimes I feel or hear a funny sound when I swallow down my neck Because I am a smoker I am worried of cancer.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: STOP SMOKING Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. Firstly only omeprazole (which will decrease the acid production in stomach) will not help as you need to take medicine for reflux ie domperidone, which will tighten up the lower end of food pipe which connects to the stomach. If you snore then there are more chances of reflux, for that you need to get done ENT consultation and get treatment. Secondly for cough you can take antibiotic and cough syrups and mucolytics. I advice to my patients Levofloxacin for chest infections, and cough syrups like XXXXXXX cough formula and mucolytics like ambroxol. You should discuss your doctor and then take medicines. Last but not the least, you should avoid smoking as you have problems in the chest. Cancer does not develop so early but still you should take precautions i.e atleast stop smoking. A HR CT scan of lung is usually done to rule out lung cancer but it is too early to be advised for you. Hope it helps. In doubt do reply. Dr Abhishek Sharma
Follow-up: What is the feeling of something stuck in my throat? 24 minutes later
Why am I getting the feeling of something stuck in my throat I have read this is a sing for esophagus cancer.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get done endoscopy Detailed Answer: Hello Again, Thanks for writing again to XXXXXXX Foreign body sensation in throat like you have something stuck in throat is seen more commonly in reflux diseases. In esophagus cancer there is difficulty in swallowing solid food like Roti , Chapati ,Bread etc. First you should take medicines properly and take precautions like-- Keep head end of bed elevated. Avoid alcohol, Smoking Do brisk walking daily Go for walk after dinner Avoid spicy food Avoid late night coffee But if still you have doubt then you could get done Endoscopy for food pipe and stomach .Which is done by Gastroenterologist .In endoscopy there will be direct visualisation of the food pipe. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: What is the feeling of something stuck in my throat? 20 minutes later
How long does it take for this feeling to go.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 7-10days Detailed Answer: Hello, It will go in few days like 7-10days ,if medicines taken properly.and precautions taken. Regards