What is the estimated range of costs of peeling an idiopathic epi membrane from eye and cataract surgery?

I was trying to get an estimated range of costs of peeling an idiopathic epi membrane from 1 eye. I realize most likely this would involve cataract surgery as a follow up.

Total costs would be surgeon and hospital or care center, not to include a pre surgery exam.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

This is a relatively difficult question to answer because every medical facility will have some slight fluctuation in costs and charges.

If you are looking at two surgical procedures here I will give you my estimate of what your cost might include.

For the membrane surgery I would estimate the cost at 4-5,000 dollars.

For cataract surgery the cost would be roughly 3-4,000 for each eye.

The cost for the surgeries again will vary widely. The cost also will be affected by what type of insurance coverage is involved.

Thanks again for some Menninger question. If you have additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: What is the estimated range of costs of peeling an idiopathic epi membrane from eye and cataract surgery? 7 hours later
I have no insurance coverage, which is the reason I ask the costs.

I was thinking of getting the surgeries done in Thailand, and wanted to know the cost difference between the USA and Thailand. I would be there 2-3 months, so I have time.

One Doctor recommeneded I get the cataract surgery done first since I have the beginnings of cataracts.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello and thanks for the additional question.

Regarding specific charges of surgery in Thailand I unfortunately do not have any details regarding how much this might cost. The concern is that if you have any complications after the surgery it will be difficult for you to obtain appropriate follow-up if you were back in the United States.

If you do have significant cataracts it would be appropriate to get this done first.

Dr. Robert