What is the duration of plaster splint for dislocation of metacarpals?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I dislocated my 3rd,4th and 5th metacarpal. No fracture just dislocated. They were able to put it back in place without issues. How long would I be in a plaster splint for? Just on average since I have no fracture or break?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: 3-4 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. My friend you have not send me your x-ray because every case is individual case, but still I advise you the duration of plaster splint for dislocation of metacarpals. I am assuming that your hand is splinted by a qualified doctor. The total duration of immobilization should rarely exceed 3 to 4 weeks. Otherwise stiffness of joints will result which is more harmful than dislocation itself. It should be noted that splint should immobilize the minimum number of joints possible and allow unrestricted motion of all other joints. One controversial point concerns the need to immobilize the wrist. It is most easily accomplished through immobilization of the wrist in 25 to 35 degrees of extension i.e functional position of wrist so that daily routine works like holding glass for drinking water etc can be easily carried out. Full motion of the inter-phalangeal joints should be encouraged throughout the healing process.So we allow patients to do their daily routine works with hand in plaster.This routine work acts like physiotherapy. Hand fractures/dislocations are stable enough by this time to tolerate active range of motion (AROM) with further remodeling by 8 to 10 weeks. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the duration of plaster splint for dislocation of metacarpals? 17 minutes later
When I go back at my 10 day follow up is it possible to get an air cast? One that's smaller and removable to shower? My current splint goes up just past my elbow. Also what's the time frame to say do a push up type physical activity?

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query again my friend. Yes when you go back at your 10 day follow up is it possible to get below elbow air cast. But you have to worn it throughout day and night. It should not be too tight or too loose and it must be of your size.It must not be removed for shower till 3-4 weeks. I have already mention that hand fractures/dislocations are stable enough by this time to tolerate active range of motion (AROM) with further remodeling by 8 to 10 weeks. So you must not do any pushup like activity till 8-10 weeks.Again when ever you want to remove the cast you must consult your doctor. One thing which is most important is that, we allow patients to do their daily routine works like holding a glass of water, writing on paper. etc.with hand in plaster. This routine work acts like physiotherapy. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.