What is the duration and development of withdrawal symptoms from opiods?

I have been on opiods for about 10 years I was supposed to get my prescription on Tuesday but I didn't my doctor is out until dec 3 I am going thru withdrawls how long will it last
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: 72 hours to One week. Detailed Answer: Hello, The duration and development of withdrawal symptoms of opiods vary. For example. within 12 hours of last heroin usage and within 30 hours of last methadone exposure. But one thing we have to keep in mind that 'Opioid withdrawal reactions are very uncomfortable but are not life threatening'. Many systems may be altered in your body as you are taking large amounts of opiates for a long time. Although very unpleasant and painful, symptom usually begin to improve within 72 hours, and within a week you should be almost back to normal. Thus i advise you not to worry about that. But it is better to consult a Psychiatrist and neurologist. Hope this helps Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.