What is the dosage of growth hormone and will it have any effects on my face bone?

Endocrinologist
Question
hi, im interested in taking gh but concerned it may have effects on my face bone. What dosage is limit before seeing unwanted side effects? Secondly, im led to believe our face bones stop growing end before puberty, before changing shape only during and after puberty...is this true? Regards
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 hours later
Brief Answer: GH Detailed Answer: Endocrine experts advise against the use of GH in adults unless there is clear cut evidence of severe deficiency causing medical problems. GH abuse is not uncommon in athletes and body builders. It is unsafe. After adulthood is attained, taking excessive GH will not affect height. However there can be structural changes in the rest of the skeleton including the face. There is no such dose limit which is considered safe to use. In general, if the body is not deficient in GH, there is no need for it. There are specific tests like Insulin tolerance test (to name one) to help ascertain the diagnosis.

Follow-up: What is the dosage of growth hormone and will it have any effects on my face bone? 20 hours later
Dear Dr Shehzad, Thank you for the answer. If i may, i have another question. I underwent oxandrolone treatment at 14.5 years old (2.5mg daily for three months) Now, from studies online i read that gnrh pulses exist as young as 4 & 5 year olds....but feel maybe in my particular case, gnrh pulsality was completely shut down. And then the oxandrolone restarted my gnrh pulsality, which continued till today. What is your opinion on effects of oxandrolone on gnrh pulse generator....can it switch it back on? Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards RF

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pediatric Endocrinology question Detailed Answer: I recall seeing such a question posted on the forum not too long ago. Maybe it was you or maybe it was not. Regardless, I did not take it up for answering because puberty and growth related questions, especially pertaining to the GnRH pulse generators and the impact of androgenic steroids like oxandrolone, falls in the purview of pediatric endocrinologists. I practice General Adult Endocrinology

Follow-up: What is the dosage of growth hormone and will it have any effects on my face bone? 46 minutes later
I see. I would like your opinion if you can help me. Does gnrh generator experience 'shutdown' in prepubertal years? Or does it always continue functioning albeit secreting minute pulses (even undetectable) ? Thanks and Regards

Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: I am sorry I do not know the accurate answer as it is not in my sphere of expertise. If I knew, I would have gladly shared it with you