What is the dosage of 'Eltroxine' when T3=70,T4= 8,TSH =53.96 ?

I am 56 F. T3=70, T4= 8, TSH =53.96. Please let me know dose of eltroxine
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Normal T3 levels are 100 - 200 ng/dl ->low in your report Normal T4 levels are 4.5 - 11.2 ng/dl -> normal in your report Normal TSH levels are 0.4 - 4 ng/dl -> high in your report Your thyroid hormone levels are very much out of range and you need to start on eltroxin. Your T4 levels are normal but T3 levels are getting low. Thyroid hormones are metabolic hormones. The issue is that to tell you the dose, I need to know the symptoms that you are having. You will need to consult a physician to get the prescription for eltroxin. I can only tell you the approximate dose. Considering your age, you may be started on 50 mcg a day. It needs to be adjusted every 4 - 6 weeks by 50 mcg until normal metabolism is achieved. It means that the appropriate dose would be when you are not getting symptoms or hyper or hypo- thyroidism. Also you will need to repeat thyroid profile every 4 - 6 weeks to see if the hormone levels are normal with the dose that you are taking. If not then the dose will need to be re-adjusted. Hope I have been able to explain. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee