What is the dormancy period for hepatitis B ?

i wanted to speak with someone today, i wanted live chat, and i clicked the wrong page. i will call customer service.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: What is the dormancy period for hepatitis B ? 10 minutes later
how quickly can someone test positive after being exposed to hepatis b, and can it be dormant in your body then become active after a period of time.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 17 minutes later

The period between transmission of the hepatitis B virus and the beginning of symptoms of hepatitis B -- which is known as the "hepatitis B incubation period" -- lasts between 30 and 180 days. The length of this incubation period will depend on how many virus particles a person has been exposed to.

Infection with very few particles causes a longer incubation period. A person is contagious during the hepatitis B incubation period, and may remain contagious for up to 15 weeks after hepatitis B symptoms begin.

Incubation period also depends on the health status of the individual. If the individual is immuno-compromised, because of some other health problem, his incubation period is short. A person of good health will have a longer incubation period.

For the Hepatitis to be determined by blood tests it takes minimum of 2 months.There are many indicators which report the presence of infection and the first one to appear amongst in the blood is Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBSAg).

Similarly the symptoms of Hepatitis B can increase and decrease, depending on the health status of the infected individual. A healthy young infected person will have better life than an elderly individual who has other co-existing diseases.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: What is the dormancy period for hepatitis B ? 17 minutes later
The reason i am asking is my boyfriend was tested for hep b, the test was positive for hep b, another test was performed, i think for other hep b antigens, and it was negative. his dr told him he is negative for hep b and that his immune system fought off the virus. should i be tested for hep b. I had the hepatits vaccine 4 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 4 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Yes, it would be better to get yourself tested for Hepatitis B infection, as you had sexual intercourse with your boyfriend who was Hepatits B positive.
If you have been vaccinated with 3 doses of Hepatitis B Vaccination ( 0, 1 & 6 months interval), it is necessary to take a booster every 5 (some recommend 15) years. And none of the vaccines would claim 100% protection.

If you have adequate hepatitis B surface antibody (HBsAb) levels, it indicates protection against hepatitis B antigen (HBsAg). (HBsAg is a serologic marker for Hepatits B and HBeAg is the marker that indicates that the person is actively infectious). If the person tests HBsAb negative, indicating a lack of protection from HBV infection, a second series of three vaccines is recommended.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.