What is the difference between open and closed rhinoplasty?

Hi, I am researching open and closed rhinoplasty, 2 doctors told me my results would be best with an open approach and 2 doctors told me a closed approach . One doctor is strictly against the open approach and stopped it completely I am not sure which way to go . I would love to have it done closed but my tip is assymetric and my bridge is wide . Which approach would be best for me ? I know not to choose a doctor based on technique but I feel that depending on the nose one approach may give a better result .

Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

If the deformity is less then closed rhinoplasty is better and if the deformity is more which cannot be corrected by the closed one then open rhinoplasty is better.

In closed, incision is not seen externally and a visible scar is avoided. So for cosmetic purpose this is better. But there may be lot of stretching of skin during surgery and the surgery is done in narrow XXXXXXX space.

In open there is a small visible incission scar but surgery will be good since more visibility of nasal framework during surgery and distortion of the nasal cartilage and individual components is minimised.
So for better surgical access and goog complete surgery to correct Tip and wide bridge, open rhinoplasty is better. I prefer open rhinoplasty.

Discuss with your doctor about the site of incission during surgery, and if it is not on the bridge of nose then open is also better cosmetically.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further discussion and management and select experienced doctor. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wish you good health. Take care.