What is the difference between hormone test of HRT, estrogen and testosterone?

Excellent
Question
What will be the differences in hormone blood tests between the following 3 scenarios: someone with gynemastia, someone taking HRT of Estrogen and a testosterone suppressant, and someone taking Bovine Ovary supplements?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 days later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I need few more information to answer your question, kindly reply: which hormonal tests you are talking about? is it serum oestrogen or testosterone? Kindly confirm it for a male person? In HRT kindly specify what type of estrogen if synthetic or natural? Also mention the route of taking all these preparetions seperately, if oral or injectable? Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What is the difference between hormone test of HRT, estrogen and testosterone? 1 hour later
which hormonal tests you are talking about? is it serum oestrogen or testosterone? Both Kindly confirm it for a male person? Yes In HRT kindly specify what type of estrogen if synthetic or natural? Estradiol, so natural Also mention the route of taking all these preparetions seperately, if oral or injectable? Oral

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Hormone levels changes with the type of supplement Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, I will answer each scenario separately: HRT of Estrogen: usually estrogen is considerably low in males when compared to females, When the testosterone to oestrogen ratio changes (that is, there is an imbalance in the levels of these two hormones with relatively higher amounts of oestrogen), breast tissue can grow. In such persons if they take oestrogen supplementation definitely the serum levels will increase. Some men with gynaecomastia have higher than normal oestrogen levels. Testosterone suppressant: There is a decline in testosterone levels particularly the free (active) testosterone with age. The normal values of total testosterone are between 11 and 30 nmol/l and testosterone levels below this normal range occur in 20% of men aged 60-80. IF the person is taking oral testosterone then the serum level might be moderately raised. Bovine Ovary supplements: Bovine ovarian supplements contain bovine estrogen which is different from human one (it is biologically different), after it is ingested only little amount is absorbed, other part is totally metabolized in the liver. So there wont be much change in the serum oestrogen levels. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!