What is the difference between functional dyspepsia and appendicitis?

What is the difference between Functional dyspepsia and appendicitis ?? How can it be diagnosed ? Wht are the symptoms fr both ?? Will u hav gnawing pain in case of appendicitis ??
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 days later

1. Dyspepsia refers to indigestion in simple terms. We classify it as functional dyspepsia when no specific organ cause is found to explain the symptoms. On the other hand appendicitis refers to inflammation of the appendix which happens due to obstruction, infection and so on.

2. Dyspeptic symptoms can have varied presentation; however the most common symptoms reported are upper abdominal pain, nausea, feeling of fullness and abdominal bloating. The symptoms are usually found in association with food.
However appendicitis presents acutely with right lower abdominal pain, vomiting and fever. When not treated it can progress to form a mass that can cause long term pain and intestinal obstruction. In some cause untreated appendicitis can become life threatening concern (abscess, rupture, peritonitis).

3. The usual test recommended when an individual presents with dyspepsia are abdominal X-ray; ultrasound abdomen, endoscopy (gastroscopy) with or without biopsy; barium swallow; liver function test and others. When all tests provide no clues, the dyspepsia is labelled as function.
Appendicitis is usually a clinical diagnosis diagnosed mainly by patient's history and clinical examination. Complete hemogram and ultrasound scan will aid in the diagnosis.

4. As described earlier, yes, pain can be very gnawing with appendicitis. However the pain is usually localised to right lower abdomen or around the umbilicus. Rarely, it can spread to other areas such as right upper thigh.

I hope I was able to comprehensively answer all your questions. I will be pleased to address other queries (if any).