What is the difference between fetal movements and kicks during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
Hi , I am 26 wks preganant today,I have a series of questions: 1.I do feel the movements but when will i feel the kicks and how will i know what is the difference between kicks and movements? 2.Why is pineapple not allowed during pregnancy 3.Is it ok to sleep on the back, on the sides i am not v comfortable, 4.Today when i am bending to pick anything from the table , i feel a not so sharp pain on the below right side , can it be because i got up abruptly in the morning, is t something to worry ?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: ANSWERED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thank you for trusting us with your health concern. I would be glad to assist you with your queries. Let me handle the questions one by one. 1. After the fifth month of pregnancy, anytime between 20 - 24 weeks, fetal movements are perceived by the mother. They are felt as tiny flutters or swishes , like mild tremors inside the tummy. Gradually within weeks ( by 28 - 30 weeks ), the movements get stronger, like an actual kick or a strong jab from the inside. You will easily feel the difference, because a fetal kick actually feels like a tiny person is kicking or jabbing / poking you from inside the abdomen. 2. Pineapple is absolutely allowed in pregnancy. Any kind of fruit or vegetable is allowed if your blood sugars are normal, and your blood pressure is normal. Just avoid having canned fruits, that includes pineapple. Have everything you like in moderation - pineapple also can be eaten. 3. It is better to sleep on the left lateral side , it increases blood flow to the baby, obviously you cannot sleep in this posture all the time, so sleeping on the back is quite alright. Your comfort comes first. 4. Avoid excessive bending or lifting weights during pregnancy, particularly as the weeks advance. Yes, it could be a slight muscle pull, if it is not so sharp or uncomfortable, do not worry. You can take a hot water bottle to bed with you on the side that is hurting. Also, just mild application gently with Volini gel will help. Avoid abrupt or jerky movements during pregnancy. All the best. Take care. Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What is the difference between fetal movements and kicks during pregnancy? 3 days later
Thanks Doc for taking up my query, i have a follow up question now. Today I feel some sharp pain being induced when i walk on the left side just below my breast , is it something to be worried about, I am some 26 wks 3 days .
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: It could be a muscular pull, and hence, the resultant pain. Just take rest, and apply some mild gel as described earlier. There is nothing to be worried about. It could be gastritis also, in that case please take a glass of chilled milk, it will help. Eat small frequent meals throughout the day, instead of 2 - 3 big ones. Also, avoid eating for 2 - 3 hours before sleeping. Sleep with pillows propping you up. Take care.