What is the difference between dexolac 1 and nan pro 1?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, My son is 5 months old.I am giving him NAN PRO 1 as milk supplement now. Dr. recommended us to use DEXOLAC 1 instead of NAN PRO 1 . What is the differance between DEXOLAC 1 and NAN PRO 1 .Is there any problem if i feed him with NAN PRO 1 .

My Brother stays abroad and he adviced me to give SMA - as supplement milk ?

I am very confused what should I give him as supplement as my wife is working ?

Please advice?

Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 29 minutes later
Happy new year!
Do not get confused !
This is just like buying different sarees!
All the milks are basically same,produced by different companies with small differences to market differently.
Nan pro, dexolac ,sma, enfamil all are basically same.
The protein and calorie contents are same.
Only some variations in added components which do not matter much!!

There is one more group of milk brands containing Soya milk instead of cows milk!

Whatever the child likes and takes nicely and does not cause problems is ideal for the baby.
Pease do not change the milk often unless really indicated due to loose stools ,etc.

By 6 months you can start weaning food like cerelac,semi solid feeds etc by which time milk intake will start to reduce gradually.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: What is the difference between dexolac 1 and nan pro 1? 26 minutes later
Hello Doctor ,

Thank you so much for your best relief answer !!

One more doubt in bottle - which type of feeding bottle should we use ?

One suggest to use only - Glass or Steel Bottles ?

Second suggest to use - Good Brand bottles like Dr. Browns , Non-Colic Mother care etc.

Doctor advised not to use any kind of bottle. He instructed us to feed the baby with the spoon and bowl. Please clarify ?

Additionally , Today we did blood examination of our baby and the results are as follows:

HB : 9.2 gm%

TLC : 0000 per cubic mm

Polymorphs ....40 %
Basophils... 00%

Kindly review and advice.

Warm Regards
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 54 minutes later
Glass bottles are the best.
Clean nicely and sterilise the bottles.
In India cup and spoon feeding is advised because of the worry about sterilising the bottle and to avoid stopping breast feeds !
So if you can be careful you can use glass bottles.

Regarding the blood test result there is mild anemia .
The baby needs some iron drops to be given which you can get prescribed by your doctor.

Dr Uma