What is the difference between acute Thyroiditis from viral infection and Hashi's?

Hello Doctor. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos last month, following a viral infection. What is the difference between acute Thyroiditis from viral infection and Hashi's? Is it possible to recover from Thyroiditis if the antibodies go down? Perhaps it is not permanent?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Presence of autoimmune antibodies is the differenc Detailed Answer: Hi, In simple laymen term thyroiditis refers to unwell thyroid gland. Your thyroid gland can become unwell following infection, due to circulating autoantibodies, following pregnancy and radiation. Virus that attacks the thyroid gland results in swollen thyroid gland with some discomfort; the thyroid functions also start to fall. This phenomena is referred to as acute thyroiditis. Similar situation is found due to autoantibodies. Autoantibodies are immune cells that affect once own body. Anti-thyroperoxidase antibodies and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies are two autoantibodies that attack thyroid gland. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the name given to this condition. In brief, your doctor would tests your body for these autoantibodies. If blood samples detect either antithyroperoxidase (anti-TPO) or anti-thyroglobulin antibody (Anti-TGO), you are confirmed to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Unlike acute thyroiditis, hashimoto's thyroiditis is not reversible condition. However rarely does this condition leads upto thyroid gland failure secondary to large number of antibodies. Therefore you can be managed well with just thyroid supplements. You need to be regularly followed up with the endocrinologist who will monitor the antibody levels and thyroid functions. Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What is the difference between acute Thyroiditis from viral infection and Hashi's? 23 minutes later
Yes, Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Please kindly tell me, when the antibodies are attacking my thyroid, does it kill the cells ? Will they regenerate? And are the dying off cells part of what makes a person feel so ill at the beginning of the disease? My doctor also prescrived aspirin for the thyroid tenderness.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: New cells take up function... Detailed Answer: Thyroid gland is made up of numerous follicular cells. Some cells are actively secreting thyroid hormones and some remain dormant. When antibodies attack few cells, dormant cells take up active thyroid functions. New cells / follicle replace the lost ones, when antibody attacks reduces significantly or stops. Aspirin and other antiinflammatory drugs are prescribed to reduce antibody attacks. Continue to use them as instructed. Over a few days, you should start to feel better, if you don't your doctor will have back up measures to treat inflammation. You might be feeling ill due to recent infection / overall inflammation and due to subdued thyroid function. I would encourage you to drink plenty of fluids, add plenty of fruits and vegetables to your diet and religiously take your medicines now. Once the initial attack of antibody wears down, your doctor can start thyroid supplements based on your needs. Hope this answers your question. Regards