What is the difference between a home fleet enema and what a hospital does?

Hi I have never been constipated in the past and about two plus weeks ago due to lack of money I seriously was eating large quantities of popcorn. Organic not buttered. I started to get constipated. I never took a axitive before and tried tri phala. Nothing. Only tiny flat jelly bean size poop
I started to get nervous and tried milk of magnesia and sticking to a soft diet. I could feel like poop was stuck in my intestine. And the locative made what I just ate come out. I tried an enama and Mirakax. Friday I went to a doctor. No poop in rectum she said it's up higher. So now it's 48 hours on lactulose senna doculace and suppository. All I poop is liquid All I have eaten is XXXXXXX juice and soup. And I still feel stuck poop.
The doctor said if this doesn't clear it I will need to be admitted. What is the difference between a home fleet enema and what a hospital does. And how do they remove this. And should I eat oatmeal to trie to thicken the water mix that flows around the stuck poop. Thank you
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are suffering from constipation from more than 2 weeks and you have tried milk of magnesia, laxatives, triphala, enema , miralax and suppository.

If the symptoms of constipation last for more than 2 weeks there is probability there could be a fecal impaction. Recent and significant changes in bowel habits, can cause fecal impaction (immovable intestinal contents) in very young children and in older adults

You will need to follow certain life style changes like:

1. Increased activity and regular exercise.
2. Fiber: Get more fiber or bulk in the diet. You have eaten only XXXXXXX juice and soup.
3. Hydration: Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and fruit juices. Drink 6-8 glasses of water everyday.
4. Decrease alcohol intake and caffeinated beverages, including coffee, tea, or cola drinks.
5. Go to the toilet at the same time every day, preferably after meals, and allow enough time as not to strain.

If it does not clear admission to a hospital may be needed.

The difference in treatment in hospitals will be they will first try to treat you with enemas which will be of different types. Enemas and suppositories increase the water content and stimulate peristalsis to aid in expulsion.

Other types like mineral oil enemas, polyethylene glycol are also used in case plain enema does not work. These can assist by lubricating the stool for easier passage.

If immediate removal of the mass is needed manual disimpaction may be used .A health care provider will need to insert one or two fingers into the rectum and slowly break up the mass into smaller pieces so that it can come out. This might be done with or without general anesthesia . You can eat oatmeal since it has high fiber content and good for constipation.

Do not worry, increase you water content and soft diet XXXXXXX in fiber, this will help you pass stools. Also do exercises routinely.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.