What is the difference between Rozavel 20 and Rozavel-F 20 tablets?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Dear Doctor,

What is the difference between Rozavel 20 and Rozavel-F 20 tablets ?
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Rozavel 20 contains only Rosuvastatin. It is a member of the drug class of statins, used to treat high cholesterol and related conditions, and to prevent cardiovascular disease.

Rozavel-F 20 contains Rosuvastatin and Finofibrate. Finofibrate is drug of the fibrate class. It is mainly used to reduce cholesterol levels in patients at risk of cardiovascular disease. Like other fibrates, it reduces both low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) levels, as well as increasing high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels and reducing triglycerides level.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is the difference between Rozavel 20 and Rozavel-F 20 tablets? 2 hours later
Doctor XXXXXXX

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The previous time when I went to the pharmacist, he gave me Rosurite 10 when there wasn't sufficient Rozavel-F with him, saying that Rosurite is a substitute of Rozavel and hence has the same effect. But I haven't started using those tablets.

Can you please confirm that the pharmacist was right ?

Thanks, Regards,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Rosurite and Rozavel are different brands of same generic drug Rosuvastatin.
But in Rosavel-F, Finofibrate is also present in addition to Rosuvastatin.

So if your doctor had advised you to take combination of Rosuvastatin and Finofibrate, you have to take the combination and same strength of the drug, may be of different brand but same generic drug.

You can mention about combination of Rosuvastatin and Finofibrate to the pharmacist, they can dispense it.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.

Regards.