What is the difference between Montair and Asthafen? Child has persistent cough but no fever

ENT Specialist
what is the difference between montair and asthafen ? my daughter ( 7 yrs old) has a terrible persistent cough since a week - no fever. I was using montair 4 mg but my doctor changed it to asthafen. Do they both work in the same way or is one better than the other?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Montair and Asthafen are different medications.

2. Montair contains Montelukast which is an anti-leukotriene. Asthafen contains Ketotifen which is an anti-histamine and mast cell stabilizer.

3. Both work on different parts of the allergy pathway.

4. They may be used to combat allergy in combination with each other.

5. In cases of persistent cough in a 7 year old (without fever), it is recommended that adenoid hypertrophy is ruled out. Is her cough dry or productive? Is her voice normal? Have any blood counts been done? Is her chest auscultation and chest x-ray normal? With frequent chest infections, her cough may be due to a hyper reactive airway.

6. I must emphasize that the decision on medication should be left to your doctor. Cough is a protective reflex and usually not suppressed in children. However if it interferes with her sleep you may request your doctor to prescribe a cough suppressant depending on the type of cough.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.