What is the difference between LASIK and LASEK surgeries? Any upcoming risks?

Ophthalmologist
Question
i had gone under testing for my eyes to get them operated for Lasik surgery but doctor suggested me to under go LASEK eye surgery what exactly the difference is there between LASIK and LASEK and can i under go for any of them, will there be any kind of risks in this type of surgeries My prescription for glass is as below
Right eye : SPH -3.0,CYL-1.25,axis 60
Left eye: SPH -1.0, CYL -2.75, AXIS 180
please let me know your valuable suggestions as soon as possible since i have an appointment for this friday evening to get operated
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 22 hours later

The basic difference between LASIK (Laser Insitu Keratomileusis) and LASEK (Laser-Assisted Sub-Epithelial Keratectomy) is technical (how its performed). In LASIK the surgeon makes a flap Epithelium+ BM+Some stroma using microkeratome or femtosecond laser and the rest of the stroma is ablated for the refractive error. Where as in LASEK the epithelium is removed with microkeratome/ femtosecond laser and the rest of the stroma is ablated for correction.

Depending on your refractive error, corneal thickness and residual stroma surgeons decide whether to take up LASIK or LASEK. With an opportunity to examine and evaluate these parameters, I would not be able to tell you the right procedure.

All surgeries have complication. But when done with experienced and good hands it is minimal. You can definitely undergo refractive surgery with this power. Discuss with your surgeon in detail and he ll help you out.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: What is the difference between LASIK and LASEK surgeries? Any upcoming risks? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,
firstly thank you very much for your quick response,
I have some of my friends who had spherical eyesight like 1.25 and 1.5 for both the eyes, and they had under gone for this lasik but they say after 2 years they have 0.25 number back with their eyes, is there any procedure with which we can permenantly remove power and with a guarantee that it wont come back and apart from this do you recommend me to go ahead with a lasik or lasek treatment with the power i have presently ,when i have undergone for eye testing my power had slight change some thing like this
right eye : sph -3.50,cyl 1.00, axis 50
left eye : sph -1.25, cyl -3.00, axis 180
where as the previous prescription is
Right eye : SPH -3.0,CYL-1.25,axis 60
Left eye: SPH -1.0, CYL -2.75, AXIS 180

there is some change in sphere and cyl power of my eyes would you recommend a lasek for me or will there be further complications for my eyes

i read reviews from several people on internet saying after undergoing a lasek treatment we keep getting some eye problems for rest of life our eyes gets permenantly sick the particles of eyes some thing like tissues or cells gets week ?
and some people has lost their vision completely
please let me know would you recommend a lasek personally or do you prefer spects is a better option

please have a look at this link this shows some bad part of lasik
WWW.WWWW.WW

and also please let me know if there is any natural way in which we can reduce our eye power or atleast the measure by which control our eye power apart from this lasek or lasik or prk

Thanks
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 8 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

If your refraction has changed with in 6 months then wait for another 3 months for your refraction to be stable. If there is no change in your refraction then go for LASIK in a good center like LV XXXXXXX or Apollo Hyderabad.

There may be some residual power of 0.25 due to machine or post LASIK ectacia. You must go for customised/Wavefront LASIK where higher order aberration are treated. You can log onto WWW.WWWW.WW to know more about it and the reviews and results.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

please let me know if there is any natural way in which we can reduce our eye power or atleast the measure by which we can control our eye power

Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 10 minutes later
No XXXXXXX , Presently there is no natural way to reduce your eye power.Only I can advise you to take healthy diet with green leafy vegetables.Don't strain your eye to much and take atleast 6 to 7 hrs of continuous sleep....TC