What is the date of conceiving if due date is jan 12 2012?

hi. i would like to know my date conceived and the aproximate date of sexual intercourse. my estimated due date is on XXXXXXX 12 2012. it is difficult for me to count as i am not sure when is my last menstrual date. as i do have irregular menses. i have had some bleeding on april 13 to 15 but not sure if it is my menses. thanks
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 51 minutes later

The expected date of delivery (EDD) is 40 weeks counting from the first day of the last menstrual period (LMP), and birth usually occurs between 37 and 42 weeks.

In reality, though, few women (< 5 %) give birth on their exact due date. About 80 percent of babies are born within ten days of the due date.

That's a fairly large window, beginning ten days before the due date and extending out ten days after the due date. A pregnancy that occurs during this time period--that is, between 38 and 42 weeks--is called full term.

Calculation of the expected date of delivery (EDD) is based on the knowledge of the last menstrual period as well as the period of each cycle.

Generally most women have a period cycle of 28 days. Hence calculation of the EDD is based on this assumption.

Based on the assumption that your first day of last menstrual period was 13 April 2011 and your cycle duration is of 28 days, the Expected date of delivery is January 18th 2012.

In case you have irregular menstrual periods and cannot remember the first day of your last menstrual period, exactly, it can be difficult to determine the EDD using this method. In these cases, an ultrasound exam is often required to determine the EDD.

You might consult your OB-GYN doctor for a examination and proper advice.

I hope this helps.

In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: What is the date of conceiving if due date is jan 12 2012? 1 hour later
the OB-GYN doctor calculate the EDD based on the ultrasound. i would like to know roughly when is the conception date and sexual intercourse that might lead to pregnancy. base on your experience. can u roughly gauge? the doctors diagnosis on the EDD is based on ultrasound. deduced that it should be on XXXXXXX 12 2012. on Aug 12 2011 the doctor also told me that that i am in my 17++ week term. is this information enough for you to roughly gauge? and about the bleeding. is that menses? or what?
Follow-up: What is the date of conceiving if due date is jan 12 2012? 4 minutes later
to add further. i have had sexual intercourse from april 12 2011 night to april 17 2011. i have also had sexual intercourse with another guy in early april but not sure when is the date. now i am having trouble identifying who might be the father. i XXXXXXX intend to do a prenatal test due to the harm it might affect my baby and it is expensive.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 56 minutes later
Hello Again,

Thanks for the follow up,

I have understood your situation completely.

Based on the Ultrasound, if your expected date of delivery is 12 January 2012, then the your estimated date of conception would be around the 19th of April.

Based on these calculations, the father of the child probably would be your partner on 17th of April.

The bleeding you had was not your periods but could be due to intermenstrual bleeding or spotting.

I hope this will help you clear any doubts that you might be having about the paternity of the child.

Please feel free to consult me in case you have any doubts.

Best Regards

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: What is the date of conceiving if due date is jan 12 2012? 45 minutes later
hi. thanks for the update. just to make sure i understand your reply.

guy 1: had sexual intercourse on early april. probably a few days to a week or 2 before april 12.

guy 2: had sexual intercourse on april 12 to april 17.
and the father is most likely to be guy 2?

about the bleeding. what do you mean by intermenstrual bleeding or spotting? could you kindly explain in a more layman terms?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later
Hello Again,

Intermenstrual bleeding or spotting is an abnormal uterine bleeding that occurs between menstrual periods due to irregular sloughing of the endometrium.

Normally the body is pre-programmed to make certain estrogen levels each day and the estrogen (and some additional hormones like FSH, LH and Progesterone) are responsible for regulating endometrium shedding.

In your case, the cause of your irregular cycles could be dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Patients with dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) have constant, noncycling estrogen levels that stimulate endometrial growth. Constant Proliferation without periodic shedding causes the endometrium to outgrow its blood supply which then results in tissue breakdown and hence results in irregular bleeding or spotting.

With regard to the paternity, Guy 2 , is definitely the father of the child.

Since the date of conception is the 19th of April, which has been calculated on the basis of the Ultrasound provided due date, conception can only be possible from the sperms of guy -2.

Sperms have the capacity to stay in the female genital tract only for 24 -72 hours. hence conception can occur within 2-3 days of sexual intercourse. Since you had sexual intercourse with guy 2 on 17th of April, he would be the father of the child.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Dr Anvekar.