What is the cure for vulvodynia?

I asked (and paid for ) a question last evening: what is the cure for vulvodynia?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is symptomatic aimed at relief.

Detailed Answer:

The treatment for Vulvodynia is essentially symptomatic and aimed at relief of pain and discomfort.
-perineal floor exercises help to tone up the pelvic muscles and ease pain.
-for the treatment of chronic pain, tricyclic anti-depressants and anticonvulsants may be used.
-antihistamines may be use to relieve itching.
-training in relaxing pelvic floor muscles to lessen pain is part of Biofeedback therapy.
-local anesthetics may also be used.
-local nerve blocks can help when other treatments fail.
-surgery maybe performed when there is a localized cause like vulvar vestibulitis or localized vulvodynia.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: What is the cure for vulvodynia? 29 hours later
what would be done in surgery for local vulvodynia?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Removal of affected tissue and skin

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Surgery would be the last resort and it includes removal of the affected tissue and skin i.e., vestibulectomy for local vulvodynia and vulvar vestibulitis when pain can be pinpointed to localized areas like hymeneal ring.

Using cold compresses, sitz baths, application of lubricants and local antihistamines and avoiding hot water bath, rough scrubbing, tight fitting undergarments are some measures to lessen the discomfort.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you need more clarifications. I will be ready to help.