What is the cure for stuffy nose and how to get rid of fluid in ear?

DR. GRIEF, Thanks for your attention. I have had a long history of sinus problems and live in west XXXXXXX (a dry dusty place) My nasal passages seem clear for the most part and I don't think I have the usual sinus infection that I have had in the past, I am a little stuffy, but can breathe through my lower sinus pretty well. It seems to me that my upper sinus is stopped up. Not much pressure, but some. IT comes and goes in intensity, no head ache or heavy pressure. I am pretty dry, no green mucus or runny nose, but my right ear has fluid in it that I can't get rid of. No pain and can tilt my head and hear it bubble and/or move. Tried Claritin for 4-5 days with no result. Tried no medication for a day and moved to plain Musinex for several days. IT resulted in no drainage and no relief to the ear fluid. Tried ear drops (chamomillia/mercurius solubilis/sulfer)Walgreen Homeopathic ear ease/dry drops. Nothing. I am not suffering any real pressure but am tired of the stopped up ear. What do you think? Thanks! XXXXXXX F.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX While reading your medical history, I have come through that you are being treated for high blood pressure. One cause of your stopped up ear could be the oscillations in your blood pressure. So, I'd suggest to keep monitoring your blood pressure especially when you have such episodes and record the results for further evaluation. Claritin is antibiotic which is used to treat infection. If no result from Claritin, then, : - claritin is not the antibiotic of choice (should shift to another) - yours is not an infection issue. At this point, I'd suggest to consult with an ENT specialist to check the ear (especially the inner ear). Sometimes, changes in the pressure or problems of the inner ear could give such symptoms. All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!