What is the cure for spreading black patches on inner thigh?

Hello Doctor. I am having black patchs on my inner thighs near the groin. It started a month ago. Initially It was small and itchy. Some patches were large , some were small. The borders are white , dry and scaly. Whenever I take a bath and dry myself the patch slightly becomes white , dry as it Happens to skin in winter. I applied a cream called zimig ( Terbinafine Hydrochloride Cream ) It reduced my itching , but the patch remains and is slowly spreading near scrotum. Please suggest me what can I do and what is this disease called.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: pictures required Detailed Answer: Hi From the description, it looks like you have developed a fungal infection in the groin region. I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesions before we come to the diagnosis. Please click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page . You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What is the cure for spreading black patches on inner thigh? 23 hours later
Hello Doctor. I have sent you some pictures at the provided email address. Please go through it and say me the solution.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection of groin Detailed Answer: Hi again, I have seen the attached pictures. The skin lesions are suggestive of a fungal infection of the skin which is tinea infection. The pigmentation is more like a post inflammatory hyper pigmentation of the skin which is the darkening of the skin secondary to any skin lesions. You have been applying an antifungal cream which is terbinafine cream and it is an effective treatment for this skin condition. But you need to take care to apply it regularly.You should apply it over the affected area twice a day regularly for atleast two weeks in continuation. In addition, you might need some oral antifungals if the lesions tend to persist. Now firstly we need to treat the fungal infection. Once it heals, then the treatment of the pigmented scars can be done with the help of a mild lightening agent like kojic acid cream. In addition, you need to observe some general precautions. Do not apply any other creams or oils over the affected areas. Wear cotton undergarments in order to decrease any friction and to reduce sweating. Avoid rubbing or scratching the area as it tend to increase the darkening of skin. You can take oral antihistamines like benadryl if there is too much associated itching. Hope it helps, Please ask if you need any further clarifications, Dr Geetika Paul