What is the cure for sinus infection and upper respiratory infection while suffering from asthma?

I have had an upper respiratory infection on and off for four weeks. Because I have asthma, I've been taking things for that an that has improved. AFter two antibiotics, I finally have some relief from the infection in my sinuses and chest. However, I am exhausted. I do not suffer from illness frequently and I usually get well quickly. This is so odd, and I have relapsed three times. Could it be a virus which has just not gone away? I feel "inhabited".
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query In order to help you better I need more info from you 1. What are you taking for asthma and what other medications are you currently on? 2. What exactly do you mean by 'exhausted'? Is it breathlessness, easy fatigue, body pain? 3. What were the antibiotics given? and for how long? Was there fever? 4. What limitations in your daily routine are you currently facing? For example unable to exercise, unable to go to work, daily routine activities,etc ( I am basically trying to find out how badly has it affected your every day life) 5. Was any blood tests or x ray done? Could you furnish the reports? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What is the cure for sinus infection and upper respiratory infection while suffering from asthma? 24 minutes later
Here are the answers to the Doctor's questions: I am taking Spiriva for the asthma (this is new for me; I was on Symbicort) I did a two week cycle of prednisone with the customary pattern. "Exhausted" in this case means easy fatique and deep fatigue. I took Augmentin for 10 days. I felt better for about two days and then the signs of infection returned; deep disgusting cough with infected looking sputum. Then we started a C-clor antibiotic which seems to have knocked out the infection for now, but I still feel very tired. Cough is much better. My normal routine is a couple of miles of speed walking in the morning and I have not been doing this (only have gone out once and then I got so tired); I also dance for two hour every night at classes and I have not been going because I feel too tired to go out and drive. Basically I am curtailing my activities so that if I do major things during the day, I don't go out at night. If I go out at night, I try to rest the next day. No lab work has been done. I was acutely ill right before Thanksgiving and I could hardly get out of bed. I did not have a fever, though, just flu-like symptoms, and then started having very bad asthma. I got well enough to fly back east for Thanksgivng, but caught something else right before I returned. Again, no fever but general weakness and a deep cough, with sinus problems. That is when we started the Augmentin.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Post viral fatigue syndrome Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail. It looks like you are suffering from a post viral fatigue syndrome which is quite common and it could last up to 4 weeks after an infection. Here is what I suggest 1. Drink plenty of water, about 5 to 8 glasses per day 2. Vit B complex tablets is a well known add on for a faster recovery 3. I would recommend you to return to your daily routine as soon as possible, do not succumb to the thought of 'maybe I will feel tired so let me take rest'. Our body is well known to adjust according the present demands. Most often mental fatigue is mistaken for physical fatigue 4. I highly recommend you undergo basic blood work up like Hb, total count, differential count, random blood sugar and thyroid. This is to rule out other causes of fatigue 5. Continue your asthma medications 6. Augmentin as an antibiotic is also known to cause a lot of fatigue and indigestion, this I have seen several times in my patients. I advice you to take them after meals and supplement with a pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast daily till you are on augmentin. I hope I was of help, if you have further doubts please get back to me. I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital Regards